Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Week 1 Favorite Place (Antarctica)



Hello all,

My name is Dillon Duke and my favorite place is Antarctica. I was lucky enough as high school student to have the opportunity to travel around the peninsula of Antarctica and conduct various  research missions. While most individuals believe Antarctica to be a rather hostile place, I found it to offer a more peaceful and welcoming environment. The absence of human life and influence in the region allows one to truly be one with mother nature and appreciate her genuine beauty.

This is a picture I took in Antarctica on 5 JAN 2010. We had just planted a "HOBO" which would continue to track weather  fluctuations in the Hughes Bay region. 

3 comments:

  1. That has to be one of the most fantastic pictures I have seen this week, Dillon - fabulous! Thank you for sharing that! I was going to try to make a mega-map of people's favorite places... I wonder if those "personalize-the-map" programs will list Antarctica as a place to include on the map...? Now I will get a chance to find out! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Dillon, a friend of mine at Google+ shared these pictures from South Pole back in the day (one of her uncles was part of this group apparently) - wow!
    South Pole Station--the first 10 years

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dillon, I also know Laura Gibbs from Google+, and agree with you about Antarctica being a peaceful and welcoming environment. I spent the summer of 2007-08 at South Pole, and the winter of 2009 at McMurdo.

    Here's some of my photos from 5 years ago at McMurdo:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/alan_light/sets/72157627121843440/

    ReplyDelete