Thursday, October 23, 2014

Story Telling Week 10,Narayan, R. K. (1978). The Mahabharata.

As the wisps of smoke began to curl around my motionless body and the flames started to lick my burial gown, I truly started to feel alone. While being in this spirit form has been peaceful, it is depressing being invisible and unable to offer my support to those taking my death so hard. Soon though, I will move onto the next leg of my journey  and start a new life. Though now, standing here on the bank of the Ganges where it all began so many years ago and now being here where it ultimately is coming to an end makes this even more difficult to watching my own cremation. I suppose life really is just a circle. I caught myself gazing deeper and deeper into the growing flame eventually becoming completely entranced. I didn’t even realize the beautiful woman in waving blue silk robes standing next to me was not actually staring at my burning body but rather directly at me, spirit me. She called my name “Bhishma” in a soft gentle flowing manner. “Yes?” I replied a little startled. “I am your mother, Ganga, and I am here to help you continue over to the other side.” I could hardly believe my eyes, my mother that I hadn’t seen or heard of for so long is now standing in front of me helping me with my last few moments on earth. She had helped me prepare for this world when I was younger and now once again she’s back to help one last time. I had to ask her why she had not tried to contact me over all these years. She simply replied that she did not need to get in my way once she had returned me to my father Shantanu. Apparently the time she had spent with me as a child was all the nurturing I needed. I was to be a hardened leader and warrior and one in which would take the extreme oath of celibacy. She assured me that I had lived out my mortal life better and more noble than she could have ever imagined. Ganga then put her hand on my shoulder and told me it was now time for me to make my way into the realm of the gods where my devious seven other brothers are waiting. I then took Ganga’s hand and walked back into the water where I had once walked with her so long ago.

Bibliography: Narayan, R. K. (1978). The Mahabharata.


Authors notes: I chose this story because I really liked the idea of Bhishma’s life completing a full circle in that he came out of the water and ultimately ended up back in the water with his mother.  

Raja Ravi Varma, Ganga and Shantanu (1890)

2 comments:

  1. Dillon, I really enjoyed reading your storytelling post! It is filled with a lot of depth and detail that I normally don't get to read from the posts every week. It is a sad but beautiful story of Bhishma's death and I think you captured his hypothetical thoughts and emotions perfectly. You definitely have a way with your words when it comes to storytelling! Great job

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Dillon! This was excellent! There was so much emotion and detail in this story! I could really picture and feel it all. I think the idea of him coming full circle is really cool as well. You really brought this story to life and kept the reader engaged throughout. I loved hearing his thoughts, his sadness, his questions during the story. What an emotional experience! Great job!

    ReplyDelete