Thursday, September 18, 2014

Story Telling Week 5, Buck's Ramayana

Alright campers, grab your sticks and marshmallows and gather around the fire. I am going to tell you a classic Indian campfire story. This tale comes from a very ancient legend that has been passed down from generation to generation. In a region just south of the great Himalayan Mountains there lies the vast Vindya foothills. It was on the top of the grandest hill that two brothers built a cabin and raised goats. Though these weren’t your typical brothers; they were the demon brothers Ilwala and Vatapi. The two had settled in the region after the great Vindhya Mountains bowed for Agastya in order to allow him to pass and continue his journey. Since that time many a traveler has traversed the region but to never return.  It is the poor unsuspecting travelers that end up offering Ilwala and Vatapi a plentiful source of food. It was on a night much like this one that a weary tradesman traveling across the Vindya was stopping for the evening to make camp. He was absolutely famished with nothing else to eat but the blackberries he had stumbled upon later that afternoon. As he began making camp he saw a light glow coming from the top of the next hill and sweeping down the grassy slope came a most delicious smell of cooked meat. He was not one to normally seek out charity but his stomach got the better of him and he began the hike up the hill to the cabin. He was already on edge for he had heard rumors of a creature that lurked in these hills and would lure travelers into a trap, a trap from which no one returned. As he drew closer to the cabin he became more relaxed as he noticed the pleasant sound of goats and the sight of a softly lit cabin interior. He walked up to the door and rapped three times where he was then greeted by the sprightliest old man he had ever seen. The traveler pleaded his case and the old man beckoned him into his cozy cabin. “What a nice little cabin you have here” said he traveler, “do you live by yourself?” The old man replied “ yes, yes I do. My wife died a few years back and now it’s just the goats and me. We’re a pretty close little family.” The old man then motioned for the starving traveler to take a seat at his table and enjoy a fresh bowl of goat stew. The traveler didn’t think twice, he dove right into the warm chunky stew and even going in for seconds. After the traveler slurped down the last couple drops he leaned back completely stuffed. He was just about to thank the old man when the old man interrupted him and yelled “come out, come out shouting!” The traveler looked confused but his face soon turned to agony as his stomach began to churn and gurgle as though it was about to explode. A searing pain grew and the poor traveler yelled out in pain as his stomach bulged out until all of a sudden he burst open like a balloon and out popped Vatapi. He gave Ilwala a high-five and they started feasting on the once weary traveler.

Authors notes: I chose this story because I have always enjoyed campfire stories and I wanted to add one to my current repertoire.

               Ramanarayanadatta astri Volume: 2 Publisher: [Gorakhpur Geeta Press]- Agastya drinks the ocean

3 comments:

  1. It's cool that you went with a campfire storytelling style~ I haven't seen any other storytelling posts like that. I like that you included "on a night much like this one" which is traditionally part of a campfire story. It reminds me of warm nights spent around the fire with my mom, dad, and brother where we would tell stories about adventures my parents went on when they were dating or about my little brother and myself when we were younger. I can't remember most of my childhood for whatever reason, so I love hearing stories about younger me and younger Colten (my brother). Anyway, I liked that while reading your story I could imagine the narrator making faces, moving around, and/or changing the loudness of their voice. You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This story was creepy. . . but in a good way! I can definitely see how you could pick this story and turn it into a campfire tale, as it was already halfway there. It had the isolation, the loners, the horrors, the surprise attacks; all the elements of a great scary story. And you did a fantastic job conveying those elements in a way that all modern campfire-goers could understand and scream about, lol. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dillon, I really liked your campfire themed story! That was a really good idea! You did a great job setting the tone of the story. I think if I would have been one of the children at the campfire, I would have been really scared after being told that story. The ending was a quick and clever wrap up! Good Job!

    ReplyDelete