Thursday, September 11, 2014

Storytelling for Week 4: Valmiki and Sita


The day was coming to an end and the shadows of the trees along the riverbank began racing to the other side.  Crouched next to the gentle flow of the water was Sita. Valmiki observed her for a good while and realized she was crying. He then decided to console her and see if there was anything he could do to help her. As Valmiki came closer and closer he also realized she was with child. He  could not bear to have this poor abandoned women looking into the water contemplating her own demise.  Valmiki rushed to her side where he accidently startled Sita so bad she almost fell into the river. Valmiki quickly apologized for startling her so bad and then offered her his finest tree bark tunic.  She asked him “ who are you and why do you help a stranger in the woods?” Valmiki responded in an overly exaggerated tone“ I am the all mighty Valmiki and I have been called upon to care for you and your two unborn sons.” Valmiki stands there in front of Sita with his hands on his hips and chest puffed out like a gamecock. Sita smiled and could not contain herself from giggling. “ Thank you old and wise Valmiki, I have just been banished from my home in Ayodhya and have no place to go so you are quite the blessing.” Valmiki beckons Sita to follow him farther into the forest where they could start a new life as hermits. As they walked between the towering trees Valmiki was racking his brain for ideas on what he could make a new home out of, for he knew a termite house like his last home just would not do. A thousand years meditating and he lost all sense of reality. The odd couple eventually happened to come across a clan of hermits where they were welcomed with open arms. With spirits raised after finding an accepting community and having the joyful companionship of Valmiki, Sita was finally  beginning to accept her banishment. The hermits cooked for Sita and Valmiki and helped them make a cabin in the deep in the woods where nobody would disturb them.        



Authors notes: I chose to tell the story in a way in which Valmiki was more of a comedian yet still a wise man. I figured Sita would benefit more from having a companion that is lighthearted and fun to be around and in turn help ease the pain of being banished. File:Srishti Karta Bhagwan Valmeki Ji.jpg
Srishti_Karta Bhagwan Valmeki Ji, 8 March 2014, Sagarballu


Bibliography: Buck, William (1976). Ramayana: King Rama's Way


7 comments:

  1. I like the perspective you took on Valmiki, turning him into a comical character. It seems true that, to a modern Western audience, an old guy in the forest saying he is all-wise would not be taken very seriously. I think it also works in the story, for you can be wise and still not take yourself so seriously. I liked your author's note explanation as well; Sita seems like a remarkable woman who was able to keep a light spirit in face of many obstacles, and I can see how a lighthearted and amusing companion would be good for her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Elena, thanks for all the awesome comments you've left on my posts! I really appreciate it.

      Delete
  2. Hi Dillon! I really like what you did with Valmiki also. Sita truly did need someone to help her through a rough time, and who better than someone how could make her move past her troubles with humor and wisdom? It was easy to see that you put much thought into fleshing out Valmiki's characteristics while staying true to the story. One suggestion-- maybe use more paragraph breaks in the text to make the dialogue stand out and your great stories easier to read on a screen. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you made a great choice by changing the personality of Valmiki in your version of the story. It really helped to lighten the mood and bring Sita a bit of peace in such a rough situation. I think if I was placed in such a bad spot I would prefer the company of someone who could lighten the mood and make me laugh. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Austin, thanks for the comments you've left over the course of the semester! I really appreciate it.

      Delete
  4. I like how you chose to introduce humor into your story. I haven't picked up on much humor so far in the class readings, and I think it is cool that you added some to your story. It seems only fitting that Valmiki, one of the greatest poets who ever lived, would be capable of cracking some jokes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Barclay, thanks for taking the time to leave me comments and give me feed back on my posts.

      Delete