Thursday, September 4, 2014

Storytelling for Week 3: Ramayana


Under the shade of a massive simsupa tree in Ravana’s garden, Sita pondered if she must endure this imprisonment for the rest of her days. With only the comfort of a thin sheet she huddled against the base of the tree. Around her were the ever-glaring rakshasi with their dark braided hair and glowing armor. They had been guarding poor Sita for over half a year and had started to become restless. They were fearsome warrior women who yearned for a fight and the only way to quench their blood thirst was to antagonize Sita. The rakshasi would constantly call her degrading names, keep her from ever falling asleep and occasionally kick dirt in her fase. As Sita would sneak a couple hours of sleep she would wake herself by crying out but only crying out one word, Rama! Day after day she would hold onto her memories of being with Rama and how happy the two of them were. The Rakshasi saw her beauty as something of a threat to their way of life in Lanka. They saw Ravana as a father figure and became jealous when Ravana thought Sita had caught his eye and stole his attention. The rakshasi did not want this new girl to steal attention away from them after they have worked so hard to win Ravana’s respect and love.  One day when Ravana came to court Sita to once again be his main wife she just broke down and could not hold her composure. Ravana  had told her that in a battle to the death he and Rama had fought and he himself had won. She did not believe Ravana but could not help but think it might be true, for she had not heard a singling thing from Rama. Though  Ravana continued with his mind games and offers of glamor and riches Sita continued with her drive to perceiver until she was rescued by her true love. The only pleasant visitors Sita ever received was Mandodari, one of Ravanas wife’s.  Though she was one of Ravana’s wife’s she was very hospitable and caring. She would sit with Sita and braid her hair while they ate fine cheeses and wine. Mandodari would constantly encourage her to make the best of the situation and mediate where she would hopefully find peace in this hectic world. It was the occasional visit by Mandodari that really helped keep Sita going. She had been pondering possible ending the misery by her own hands but was ultimately brought out of her depression just enough to keep going.     

Authors Note:
The story telling style I went with was one of the evil step sisters. I focused a lot on the rakshasi as being the abusive and jealous sisters of Sita. I found this style to be fitting because I feel as though the demons of Lanka are rather close knit and have a lot of drama between them. The changes I made in the story were ones that expanded on the characters dialog and actions that came in contact with Sita. I also added the visit of Mandodari who I wish had played a more central character in this scene.  

Bibliography: Narayan, R. K. (1972) The Ramayana.

Sita interring earth 
Javedhasmi     

3 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed your creative story. You put a nice twist on the one we read in the book. I liked that you based yours on Sita. She was one of my favorite characters throughout the book! I wrote about her in my notes of the readings. I look forward to reading more of your stories in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a GREAT story!!! Just like you, I wish more was told about what happened to Sita during her time being a captive of Ravana. I found it interesting how braiding played an important part in your story. It was demons with braids that tormented her, and a demon braided her hair to comfort her. I am curious about the significance, if any, behind braiding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a very good story. Much like the rest of you, I would have preferred a little more information about Sita during her time in captivity. I like how you tied in Mandodari as a source of comfort and friendship in Sita's time of need. I actually didn't notice this myself, but Catherine raises a good point. Did you intend for braiding to hold any level of importance when you wrote the story or was that just a coincidence? One thing that I would have liked to see in your story was Sita's response to the fake head that Ravana presents to her in the Ramayana. Nonetheless, I really enjoyed your story. Good job!

    ReplyDelete